Check for free school transport
See whether you qualify for free transport to secondary school and the route we use to calculate the distance.
Enter your postcode
What you need to know
- Results refer to September 2023 entry and in year admissions from September 2022.
- Distances are calculated by road from the address you provide to the nearest accessible secondary school gate.
- The Buckinghamshire UTC is included in the results of this checker. The UTC can be ignored if you are looking for admission to years 7-9 as the UTC only admits children from year 10.
- If we would not be able to offer a place at the nearest school, when it is expressed as a preference, then we may be able to provide free transport to your next nearest school. This is easiest to prove if the nearest school is a higher preference than the offered school.
Your child may also be eligible for free school transport if:
- You are on a low income
- They have Special Educational Needs
- They have a disability or mobility problems and are attending their nearest school
- There is no safe walking route to the school attended and it is the nearest school
How the distances are measured
The checker measures the distance using the Ordnance Survey Highway Network data which is the base data for many online mapping and routing applications. The route measured will start at the point on the road network that is closest to the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG) point of the pupil’s home and will end at the point on the road network closest to the nearest school gate. The measurement is taken along the centre of the road and only includes only those footpaths that appear on the Highways dataset.
Please refer to the School Transport Policy for more details on eligibility.