Check for free school transport
See whether you qualify for free transport to secondary school and the route we use to calculate the distance.
Enter a postcode
e.g. HP20 1UA
What you need to know
- Results refer to September 2019 entry and in year admissions from September 2018
- Distances are calculated by road from the address you provide to the nearest accessible secondary school gate
- The Buckinghamshire UTC is included in the results of this checker. The UTC can be discounted if you are looking for admission to years 7-9 as the UTC only admits children from year 10.
- If you select a school your child is eligible for free transport to as your first preference and we are unable to provide you with a place then you may be eligible for free transport to your next nearest school
Your child may also be eligible for free school transport if:
- You are on a low income
- They have Special Educational Needs
- They have a disability or mobility problems and are attending their nearest school
- There is no safe walking route to the nearest school
2020 transport changes
On 4/3/2019 the council’s cabinet agreed a change to the Home to School Transport Policy. The change will take effect from the September 2020 entry to secondary schools. Existing secondary age travellers will be unaffected. The change is as follows:
- School children living in the Iver and Wexham areas (attending the Chalfont Community College) and Ivinghoe (attending the Cottesloe and Tring Schools), who are currently travelling free of charge, will be required to contribute to the cost of transport if they choose not to attend their nearest school. This will bring these arrangements in line with the rest of the county – see Appendix 1 of the Home to School Transport policy.
- At present this checker reflects the policy that applies to 2019 entry. It will be updated in August 2019 to reflect the 2020 entry process which begins in September 2019.
- At present the checker will return two distances with a green tick saying you are eligible for free transport if you are within the areas affected. In future only the nearest school would attract free home to school transport and would have a green tick. The nearest school named will depend on distances from your home.
Please refer to the School Transport Policy for more details on eligibility.